About our Daughter

I am mother to four wonderful daughters, ages 17, 19, 21, and 23, and wife to the greatest husband on earth. God has given us a special child to raise one who was diagnosed with early-onset bipolar disorder at the age of seven, though she showed signs of it from the age of fifteen months. She also has ADHD, Sensory Integration Disorder (sensory seeking), Dyslexia, and Non-Verbal Learning Disorder-NOS, all typical comorbidities for a bipolar child. In spite of the trials, she enjoys lacrosse, running (finished her first marathon in October of 2014!), and reading and writing her own books. I will share with you the many joys and sorrows we have faced and will face in the future with the hope that you may find better understanding about this mental illness caused by both chemical and structural abnormalities in the brain. I desire that you will be encouraged by this blog if you are also dealing with a bipolar child. Thank you for reading and sharing in our journey.

How Did You Know She Was Bipolar So Young?

I wrote a long explanation of how we came to this bipolar diagnosis in a child so young under my post of March 19th of 2009. If your child or a child you know bears similarities, please seek out a good psychiatrist and don't wait for "things to get better." Often they will simply get worse, and the longer a child is unmedicated, the more damage their brain can accrue. Early diagnoses and treatment are key to providing these children with a chance at a successful life later as a teen and an adult.
Never change, start or stop a medication without the approval of your child's physician!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

We Broke the News

We just told Caroline that she will be discharged from the RTC in ten days. She was ecstatic of course. Brandi told us she was grinning from ear to ear. We also broke the news to her about her gerbils no longer being with us thanks to her dogs. She handled that better than expected, even with the revelation that her older sister was at fault for leaving the cage on the floor. She said all was forgiven, no hard feelings. Whew! I guess that she is so glad about coming home soon that the gerbils were not such a big deal. Now we have a lot to do before she comes home, including meeting with the private school she was at for a week last spring to see if they are still amenable to her coming back. Hopefully this will work out. We find out tomorrow.

No comments: